Sunday 5 July 2015

DIY Library Sign!

Hey guys! 
A fun little DIY project I did this afternoon at home. A lot of family and friends say my room is 'like a library' due to the amount of books I have. So I decided to create a little sign for it!
All of the tools I used I already had at home from previous decorating and DIY things but they're all pretty easy to find. Hope you enjoy! 

1. I printed off a template of what I wanted the sign to say - I flicked through a few fonts before settling on French Script MT, with the 'The' at font size 200 and 'Library' at 300. Best to find a piece of wood first and alter the font size to fit that. 
If you're awesome enough to be able to draw the lettering freehand straight away onto the wood - then go for it - you can skip through to step 6!
2. Flip over the paper and trace the outline - best to do this in a light room so the line shows through better :) 
3. Cut around the lettering and place onto the wood to find the best spacing. I decided to place 'The' a little higher for a tier effect.
 4. I then drew over the lettering again, pressing harder - this dented the wood and left a light pencil line for me to follow later when painting.
5. As my piece of wood was longer than needed once I traced the lettering, I sawed off the end and sanded the edges so they were a little smoother to touch and hold - don't want any splinters thank you! 
6. Ready for paint! Messy painter alert - put an old sheet down! I chose this lovely light purple which we had left over from decorating. I watered down the purple a little in a pot so that it wasn't a thick coat which would cover the lettering and take too long to dry.
7. All done! I ended up doing a light second coat and filled in the lettering to make it a little clearer once dry. I then chose white paint for the lettering - this wasn't watered down this time so it covered the purple. I didn't have any paintbrushes tiny enough to accurately fill in the lettering so I grabbed some really old eyeliner brushes which I've never used or will use to paint instead. I rested my hand on paper so not to put smudge or transfer paint from my resting hand.
8. Once dry I neatened up some of the edges - and voilà! You can either leave it like this or add something you can hang it with - I chose to do that so I could hang it off my bookcase and not cover the books. 
9. I had some leftover grey spray paint and found some string and photo frame brackets to cover - the string was a little discoloured and the brackets gold so this was perfect to cover them. 

10. Measure where you want the brackets on either side and nail to the wood - make sure the nails are quite short so they don't pierce the front of the sign. Loop through the string and tie the knot wherever! I chose near the bracket so it wouldn't be shown when hung. You could also cut off the extra string if you had a lot of excess.

And there you have it! My DIY hanging library sign :D Easy peasy method - could also make it more personal and add your name or do a quote sign instead! Hope you all enjoyed!
Happy Reading, atimethatflies xox












No comments:

Post a Comment