Saturday 4 July 2015

BOOK REVIEW: Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins


Synopsis
Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris--until she meets Étienne St. Clair. Smart, charming, beautiful, Étienne has it all...including a serious girlfriend.
But in the City of Light, wishes have a way of coming true. Will a year of romantic near-misses end with their long-awaited French kiss?


My review:
I'm usually not a big contemporary reader and stick to fantasy, but as I was on holiday and in a very summery mood I decided to get through some of the few contemporaries collecting dust on my very neglected TBR (to-be-read) pile (Its actually more like 3 shelves than a pile... embarrassingly!). I was a little apprehensive due to the name and thought this would be a book targeted to readers younger than myself. However, I ended up thoroughly enjoying/loving/swooning over and cuddling this book! It seemed to be exactly what I needed, something sweet and fluffy to fly through (Which I did, in 4ish hours!). Although the characters were younger than myself, I still connected to them and the boarding school situation related to my university experience, with moving to a new city by yourself and coping with this new lifestyle. Like myself, the main character Anna was a little shy at first but when she met and became friends with people, her confidence grew. It was nice to be in someones head that suffered with the same anxieties I did sometimes! There were a couple of occasions where Anna frustrated me with her actions but these were soon forgotten a couple chapters later.
I really liked the friendship group that was introduced at the beginning and developed throughout the story as Anna became closer with the group - especially Étienne - but I won't say too much about that :P As much as I wanted the end to come and to find out ultimately what would happen, the writing was so fast paced, captivating and the moments between the characters so cute I never wanted it to end. Although this was a light read it didn't lack depth in terms of the drama that occurred, but it was handled in a way which I understood each characters emotions and didn't get annoyed by it as the main characters seemed to have a (mostly) mature approach and didn't whine. The location for the story also offered a magical backdrop and made imagining moments between the characters even sweeter - Paris, the city of looooove of course!
A lovely refreshing story of independence, new experiences, friendship and romance. I definitely recommend to young adult contemporary romance lovers and to anyone who wants a break from denser reads and to have a little bit of fun! Definitely looking forward to reading the companion novel; Lola and the Boy Next Door and Isla and the Happily Ever After.
Rating: 5/5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment