Friday 5 June 2015

BOOK REVIEW: Magonia by Maria Dahvana Headley



I’ll be honest, this was a cover buy. Obviously because just look at it! It’s stunning. I didn’t read the premise and went into it blind, so I had no expectations whatsoever.
But… Unfortunately this book was still not my cup of tea. The pacing at the beginning was a little slow, with the first 100 pages mainly analysing death - I didn’t personally enjoy that aspect of The Fault in Our Stars and I didn’t enjoy it in this book either.
One thing I can positively say is that this book is completely unique, like COMPLETELY. And I have to give the author props for that since it’s so hard in literature now to be like that. I loved the world idea of Magonia and thought there was soooo much potential there in terms of what story could fit into it. I personally was a little disappointed and didn’t understand the half-bird-species-thing but I know a lot of people liked that aspect themselves. Maybe it was just me but I didn’t feel connected to many of the characters, just mainly reading to see what the story would turn out like at the end as
I felt like I was waiting around for something exciting to happen. It did, in the last 50 or so pages - which is where I finally started to enjoy reading this book due to the action, but the ending then mulled out once again.
Overall I’ve given this a 2.5 ⭐️ - ONLY due to the fact that I thought this story wasn’t for me. Some sentences in this books are just beautifully written and so I’m not surprised that a lot of other people love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment