Wednesday 19 August 2015

Top 5 Wednesday: Least favourite character tropes

Hi everyone, I'm back for another Top 5 Wednesday! This weeks topic is top 5 least favourite character tropes so lets head on into that.

If anyone's interested to start Top 5 Wednesday and join in on all the fun, here is the link to the goodreads group created by gingerreadslainey on Youtube: https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/118368-top-5-wednesday

1. Insta-love


Why? Why does this happen? 99% of relationships do not work like this. You can't just meet someone and within the week be completely head-over-heels-I'll-sacrifice-myself-for-you in love. You're just attracted to them, its okay, calm it, give it time and it will then become something much more special. We don't need a repeat of Romeo and Juliet, please.



2. Love triangles




I used to looooove love triangles when I was a teenager. Maybe for me as I've grown up it's just become a thing that doesn't happen in reality, or its classed as disrespectful/cheating (if you've made a commitment with one). So I don't feel like its anything I want to be reading about as it confuses and upsets me when characters bat around worrying about who they actually want to be with.




3. Overprotective main protagonist 




Whether this be to a certain individual or a need to save everyone, this annoys me either way as a lot of the times this happens the character doesn't value their own safety and become a hypocrite by throwing themselves into any dangerous situation blindly. It's like they think they have some special main character 'I'm invincible gene'.




4. Goody Two-shoes



As much as I love a good protagonist, I'm getting a little sick of characters trying to do everything they can to fix stuff. I personally find villains in movies and other books to be quite amusing if they're given a dry sense of humour. I'm not meaning that they have to be the most sadistic person in the world, but if someone had superpowers in a book it would be nice to see them have a little selfish fun with it. Might make for an interesting book with a swap around of characters motives!





5. Female perspectives 




This might just be luck of the draw with the books that I've read and nothing to do with anything else, but I find that 80% of the books I read have the main character as female. It may have just happened this way over the years as I pick up books with characters that I think I will relate to, but I'm hoping that in the future this will even out as some of the books I have read with dual perspectives with a main male point of view I've really enjoyed. I need more leading males!

No comments:

Post a Comment